Thursday, April 26, 2012

Dasvidania Simferopol

Day Twelve:  Dasvidania is Russian for "good-bye" and sadly, that's what I had to say to my host and the teachers and students here in Simferopol. What an emotional day! It started with an awards ceremony for 5th to 8th form students who gave powerpoint presentations yesterday on subjects such as "The Etymology of Names of Ukrainian Cities", "Origami", "English Slang", and "World Water Day." 

Later, Dana and I met with a 10th form class to give presentations on American schools and students. When we asked what their stereotype of Americans was they said we had more freedom, more opportunities, more independence. It made me realize we, as a community, should think about these concepts. Ukrainian students truly value the culture of education and work very, very hard. They want what they think you already have. So, are they right in their viewpoints? And, if so, do we take these things for granted? If others are working hard to attain "more freedom, more opportunities, and more independence," should we work just as hard to keep them - if, indeed, it is true?

Tomorrow I fly to Kyiv to meet with the other teachers and to "debrief" about our individual experiences. Then, it's home to Rhode Island. I wonder what "big ideas" we'll all come away with from our time in Ukraine.

Question: What do you think about the students' stereotypes about life in America?

1 comment:

  1. I love that last question and can't wait to pose it to my own students tomorrow. I watched the video of the 10th form introducing themselves and clapping and waving good-bye afterwards. It more than restored the good mood I lost in our 20 hours of transport home. Keep in touch -- d.

    ReplyDelete